In Memory: As of 06/03/2019

Nicholas H Loriss

Born: June 26, 1958

Died: October 5, 2005, age 47 (murdered)

Nick was a member of the Class of '77 all 4 years.

The following was located by Nancy Wright - Meyer, MW '61 and added on 11/11/2015:


Des Plaines Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of whoever stabbed Nicholas Loriss to death last week. Police discovered the body of Loriss, 47, in a pool of blood on the kitchen floor of his home in the Town and Country Mobile Home Park, 815 E. Oakton St. Relatives had contacted police for a well-being check around 1 p.m. Oct. 5 after being told by Loriss' 53-year-old wife, Nancy, that he was unresponsive. An autopsy conducted by the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office indicated Loriss died from multiple stab wounds to his upper torso, said Des Plaines Police Chief James Prandini. 

Loriss lived in Des Plaines his entire life and attended Iroquois Elementary SchoolOrchard Place and Maine West High School. He took religion classes at Our Lady of Hope in Rosemont, said his sister, Lorraine Hernandez, of Des Plaines"My brother was so trusting that he would let anyone into his home," Hernandez said. "He lived to take care of his wife, who is almost totally incapacitated. He even lost jobs because she would keep calling him and he would go home to take care of her." 

Hernandez said Loriss had issues relating to an injury he sustained when he was 10. The injury occurred when Loriss fell, became lodged between the edge of a pool and a deck, and nearly drowned. The childhood injury caused Loriss to walk with a limp. His physical issues also led to teasing by other children, Hernandez said. 

Another sister, Gale Strossner, who lives in the Wisconsin Dells area, described Loriss as a big man, more than 6 feet tall, but "like a big teddy bear." "He had the kind of a heart that was wide open," Strossner said. "When his wife came down with Alzheimer's a number of years after they were married, he insisted on taking care of her himself instead of sending her to a nursing home." Strossner said her brother worked 20 years for a paving company that did work in Des Plaines.

Visitation for Loriss was held Friday at the G.L. Hills Funeral Home in Des Plaines, followed by Mass at Our Lady of Hope. In addition to Hernandez and Strossner, Loriss is survived by his wife; his mother, Beverly Loriss of Des Plaines and five siblings, including Hernandez and Strossner. 


Administrators Note: As of December 1, 2011 - Loriss' murder remains unsolved.